Tuesday 29 June 2010

40 things you didn't know about food in korea

Lets talk food! everyone loves food. Since moving to Korea I have developed a fondness for korean food.
I have noticed huge differences between Korean food and Western food.

1. Kimchi is eaten everyday for breakfast ( I still can't bring myself to eat that..so ive been sticking to my sugarary cereal every morning).

2. Rice is eaten for breakfast, lunch and tea..no thanks.

3. Chocolate is found in small quantities..no king size chocolate here.

4. Food is so dirt cheap..that its cheaper to eat out than shop at the supermarket.

5. 7,000 won is enough to feed Julian and me at a Kimbap restaurant.

6. Coffee in stick sachets is the beverage of choice here, everyone drinks them after a big meal and its pretty common to have 4-8 sachets of that a day.

7. The reason people here are so tiny is because the food is pretty spicy. You are literally sweating during a meal which I believe raises the metabolism.

8. Cereal is full of copious amounts of sugar even in special K!

9. Probiotics ( I call them baby milk) can cure you of a sore stomach after spicy food.

10. Big Blocks of cheese dont exsist in the supermarket, if they do its bloody expensive. 3 slices of processed cheese can set you back 4,000 won ($4-5)

11. Cheese on pizza is so fake its sickening! You saturate your entire napkin in oil just from one slice of pizza.

12. Fried chicken and beer go hand-in-hand just like coffee and cigarettes.
13. On that note..cancer sticks are bloody cheap a packet will cost you between 2,000- 3,000 won. No wonder so many people in Korea smoke.

14. Alcohol is so cheap and can be found anywhere. A bottle of soju will cost you under 2,000won and a can of beer 1,200won. A Large bottle 1,500-1,800.

15.They have their own version of Cold rock (Australian icecreamery) Cold stone. But the flavours are way better..more cheese cake flavours and double the cookie crumb!

16.Bread is blooody expensive- gone are the days of .99 c pak n save bread :( Oh and bread only comes in half loaves.

17. I will drink less coffee..I will drink less coffee..I will drink less coffee.

18. A 6 pack of 1.5L bottled water only cost 3,000 won- bargin! why would you stand over your stove and boil jugs of water? What a waste of time!

19. The intensity of flavour in packet chips is no where as salty as chips back home.

20. On a hot day rock up to your local convenient store and grab an icecream bar/ solaem ( My friend calls its crack cos its so addictive) for 500 won..last time I bought an ice cream for .50 was back in 1990.

21. Ginseng gum and affragato chewing gum doesn't sound too appealing but it is pretty tasty!

22. I will eat less chocolate cream pie..I will eat less chocolate cream pie..

23. Eating dried squid while Naribanging heightens the experience. Gosh its addictive. Also cereal is served with your beers and soju..all part of the service.

24. Cherry coke is still a live in this country-yeahhhh

25. I miss cherry ripes..so if you are reading this send me some!!!

26. There are about 50 kinds of Wellbeing rice you can choose from. My favourite is the purple grains which turns your rice completely purple once cooked.

27. I dont know why but Kimbap is surprisingly easy to make...I have tried to make sushi for the past 5 years..still cant master it. But with Kimbap..Im the master chef.

28.Only spoons and chopsticks are used during breakfast, lunch and dinner. So if you have a super tough piece of steak to cut up ..use the edge of your spoon. I use the back of a spoon to spread peanut butter on my toast most mornings.

29.No matter how much you hate kimchi..just have a little bit..it will make your co teacher happy to see you enjoying their national dish.

30.There are soo many convenient stores! I have 5 convenient stores only 5 minutes from where I live.

31. Paris Baguette you are my best friend!

32. In the fish markets be careful...you might just stumble upon a turtle with no head :( luckily I haven't seen one yet. But my friend has.

33. I still need to try Silk worm larve and live octopus..tenticles still intact and moving.

34. Never blow your nose while dining with Koreans. No matter how incredibly spicy your meal is and how much your sinus is begging you to relieve it..just subtely sniff it back up.

35. Carry a toothbrush to school and brush your teeth with your teachers after lunch..while holding hands..just joking!

36. Obesisty in Korea is non-existent..I have yet to see a fat person in Korea. Actually..I take that back..Im considered overweight here! Standing next to my co teachers Im an elephant!

37. If you so much as eat too much and develop bloating..you will be asked if you are pregnant..not me but my friend got asked that and shes a rake!

38. Talking with your mouthfull is ok. Its a sign you are enjoying the food! Also spitting food at the person you are talking to is ok. Just subtely wipe it off..5 minutes after so it doesn't look obvious.

39. Rice cakes are delicious..you can choose from many flavours, textures, filings, colors..my favourites are the small marshmellow shaped ones that have a sweet honey centre.

40. You must eat your lunch within 5 minutes. If you take too long your teachers are waiting impatiently for you. Once you have finished your meal walk very very slowly back to your office.. I mean very slowly.

No comments:

Post a Comment