Monday 26 April 2010

Gwangju: The Settling



Julian Raethel





Final Week of April 2010

WEEK 5 COMPLETE. OH YEAH.



Hello people. A lot has happened since we last spoke. I have been spending most of my internet time reading into the Melbourne Storm debacle. Loving it. Just loving it.




Anyway, I was horrified at my first Korean "experience" to the bathroom. I didn't know what the hell to do, I was looking at this thing scratching my head going "Well, this is going to be a challenge." I still don't know if I'm doing it right. Trial and error. Trial and error.




Soju has become a wonderful friend, and a powerful enemy, of mine. It is a love/hate relationship that will last our entire time together in this beautiful country. For those who don't know, Soju is a traditional Korean spirit made from potatoes. It tastes like Vodka and is dangerously cheap and accessible.




We went on an amazing 4.5 hour hike on Sunday up Mt. Mudeungsan (the highest mountain in the city). The views were incredible. See below for snapshots. Mountain goats aint' got shit on me! Good old Darren Mead dropped down from Seoul for the weekend so was good times.



May should be a great month with lots of "holidays", I had our school anniversary last week and my co-teacher was kind enough to take me to the Bamboo Forest. Mind-blowing picturesque surroundings. See below for snapshots.



Peace to all. Watch this space
.
PHOTO 1:
Amazing Bamboo Forest in Damyang, an hour outside of Gwangju
PHOTO 2:
A nice couples shot of myself and Helen on Mt. Mudeungsan
PHOTO 3:
Leatherface Lives!
PHOTO 4:
Massive statue at the Memorial Park of the Gwangju Massacre. Very impressive.










No comments:

Post a Comment